Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Delaware to Georgia?

Hi Jamie

Next week I am taking a spring-break road trip from Wilmington, Delaware, ultimately ending up in Savannah Georgia with my son and both his grannies.

I have about 10 days to make this trip, so was thinking along the lines of taking 2-3 days to drive there, spending a couple of days in Savannah, a couple of days around Charleston maybe and driving back a different way over 2-3 nights.

As you can see I am still in the planning stages, but would love some advice on good route that would take in some history (Monticello, Blue-Ridge Parkway, Jamestown, Williamsburg, Wright Brothers etc, scenery, beaches etc (we have explored Shenendoah and the Skyline Drive previously))

Would love some advice on planning this trip and good stopping off points etc...

Thanks in advance

Emma

===

Hi Emma --

Many thanks for writing in to Road Trip USA, and I hope I'm not too late to help! I think your plan sounds pretty smart -- 2 / 3 days should be plenty of time for you to have a pleasant drive, there and back.

My first thought: seeing that you're driving right about now, I'd really suggest you think about planning to make a stop in Washington DC on your way south. It's right on your route, plus it would make a good preparation for Monticello -- the Thos. Jefferson Memorial is gorgeous, and thought-provoking. Plus your kids would appreciate the history lesson, I'm sure. (insert ironic winking smiley here...)

After DC, and Charlottesville, the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Asheville is a blast -- and the Biltmore Estate is unforgettable.

While in and around Asheville, if you or your son is a Hunger Games fan you might want to check out this: http://hungergamesfantours.com/#!day-trips (though I have to say I find the whole Hunger Games phenomenon more than a little disturbing...)

Then: Savannah. A fantastic city, with tons of character, lovely houses, parks and gardens, great restaurants, and nice beaches too.

Charleston is also amazing, as is the whole coast of both Carolinas. And on your way north, if you have time and energy, historic Williamsburg (and Richmond) are also great places to explore.

Sounds like a great trip -- hope this helps,


Jamie Jensen
--
Road Trip USA

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home