Monday, June 14, 2010

GPS Maps -- for Road Trip USA. Now out on Android phones



Dear Jamie:

I recently purchased your Road Trip USA book and have begun reading it. My wife and I are in the early stages of planning a trip across country (about one month out to the west coast and one month back). Your book has a lot of helpful advice but I find that the maps are a little small to follow while on the road. Is there a place where I can access the maps in a larger, more easy to read format?

Many thanks,

Armand


==

Hi Armand --

Thanks for writing in to Road Trip USA, and for buying my book. The maps in the book are designed in-house, and we run them on the small side so we have space to include everything else; when I travel, I almost always use a detailed road atlas for the actual route-finding.

I don't really know of any other map source other than the standard ones (Rand McNally, AAA-Auto Club...), but I can say we are working on launching some GPS-integrated Google map-and-text "apps" for iPhone and Android smartphones -- in fact the Android RT66 version went "live" today. So if you have an Android smartphone, simply point it at this page and scan the weird-looking adjacent graphic "QR Code", and away you go. (The QR code should also appear as the graphic at the top of this blog post.)





There are also some Apple iPhone apps in the pipeline, as well, and these things are evolving quickly so if you get to use the Android app please let me know what you what you think of this brave new world (and by "you" I mean anyone reading this!)

In the meantime, sorry for the eyestrain -- and I do hope you enjoy my Road Trip USA book, and your cross-country trip.

Happy Trails,


Jamie Jensen
---
Road Trip USA

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home