Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Road Trip weather




Hello,

I've just been looking at your routes because I am interested in travelling in a few years after I finish school. I'm interested in the Pacific Coast, Appalachian Trail and Oregon Trail and was just wondering what time of year would be best to go?

I was hoping to come in December sometime to spend Christmas/New Year's in New York but I'm thinking driving in the winter and snow might not be such a good idea.

Any suggestions?


Thanks,

Lindsey


===

Hi Lindsay --

Thanks for writing in to Road Trip USA, and I hope you won't wait _too_ long to take your road trips. In my experience, the longer you wait, the harder it is to find the time to do anything -- especially something like a road trip.

About weather -- if you look at recent weather reports, I think you'll agree that winter is not really an ideal time to be on the road -- even in Florida, where there is danger of frost. Also, the days in winter are significantly shorter -- maybe 9 hours of daylight in December versus 16 hours of daylight in June. So your days are basically half as long, which means you only get to see and do half as much stuff.

(Unless you are a night owl...)

That said, a couple of the trips I suggest in Road Trip USA would be fine in winter -- I really like the California coast in November thru March, for example, while in New England and Great Lakes especially some roads offer great 'fall color" sightseeing.

May thru October are really the main road trip months -- and New York City is best seen on foot, so get there by plane or train, so you don't have to pay $50 a day for parking!

Good luck with your studies, and Happy Trails,



Jamie Jensen

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home