Tuesday, February 22, 2011

9 Month All-USA Road Trip

Hi Jamie

My 3-year-old daughter, my wife and I are planning on a very extensive road trip around the states. We plan to leave April 2011 and take at least 6 months maybe 9-12 months. We do not have any other commitments during this time so really free to go anywhere and everywhere.

We plan to buy a campervan / motorhome, take our time eat BBQ most nights and take lots of photos. We have a budget of approx £30,000. We are more interested in seeing 'real America' and nice small villages rather than cities and would prefer the smaller roads rather than concrete interstate highways.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul


===

Dear Paul and Family --

Many thanks for writing in to Road Trip USA -- you seem to have the right attitude (and enough time & money!) to have a great trip. BBQ & photos, too -- fantastic!

I can definitely see the attraction of motorhome travel, as you'll be traveling with a small person on board, but I wonder if the complications of buying (and insuring..) your own vehicle might turn it into a pain. There are plenty of rental places where you could try out a variety of RVs, and then switch to normal cars, or even use your own two feet, to get around American cities.

On such a long trip, a little flexibility would be a good thing, no?

If I had 6 months to see America, I think I would like to look into renting a house here and there in some special places, and really get to know the people, and the lay of the land. Traveling around is great, but so is sitting still and letting the world wash over you.

Are there certain parts of America that appeal to you more than others? In Road Trip USA I cover the very best 40,000 miles of smaller, older, scenic and historic roads all over the country, so I hope you'll check out the book. Then let me know a little more about what you want from this trip, and I'll try to help.

Happy Trails,


Jamie Jensen
---
Road Trip USA

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home