Friday, September 16, 2011

Motorbiking -- Seattle to Southern California


Hey JJ --

I’m going to be on the west coast in mid-October and was looking to ride from Seattle to LA…

How long is the trip?? I was thinking 4 full days, not night riding (Saturday thru Tuesday).

I’m sure it’ll get cold, I’ve got the gear. I can’t imagine it’ll be warm, even in LA.

Any insight you can give would be appreciated!


DAVID

==

Hi David --

Many thanks for writing in to Road Trip USA, and sorry it took me a month to get back to you.

You could definitely do the Seattle-to-LA run in 4 days, but to make it that fast you'd need to take a lot of freeways (namely I-5).

The more scenic coastal route would take closer to a week, or more, depending on how much time you can spare (and how often you are tempted to stop and enjoy the views, and the food!)

For an "in between" route I'd recommend a focus on US-101, with a few Hwy-1 coastal detours whenever the weather and your mood suited a slower scenic ride.

You're looking at 1,250 miles, minimum, more like 1500 if you take in the gorgeous Oregon coast (which is beautiful and has lots of nice towns along the way.)

And despite what you anticipate, the weather in coastal California October is just about ideal -- with less fog, and fewer RVs. Nights and mornings can get chilly, but not freezing. And LA is 72, all day every day.

(And if you don't believe me, just watch the Steve Martin movie "LA Story"...



Hope this helps,


Jamie Jensen
---
Road Trip USA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home