Friday, October 14, 2011

New England to the Northwest - in Novermber?

Hi Jamie,

My wife and I loved your book, and have had a lot of fun on the Pacific Coast Route. Thanks for that!

Right now, we are planning a roundabout trip from New England to the Pacific Northwest in early November. There's so much to see, and a number of ways to go. Everyone tells us we're crazy to cross the mountains at that time of year. Is there a route
that you would recommend? Any extra precautions to take?

Thanks,

Pat

==

Hi Pat --

Many thanks for writing in to Road Trip USA, and I hope I can help you plan a fun safe trip "across the mountains" next month.

The route I'd recommend would start across the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, for some fabulous "fall color" -- I cover this in my Great Northern road trip along US-2 (from Vermont via Montreal and Ottawa, both of which are great cities to explore!)

Of course, if the weather looks threatening, you may want to have a Plan B -- heading further south, perhaps along old US-50 (and I-80, if serious storms are on the horizon.) But chances are good that you'll have some great weather -- and the western mountains should have lots of golden aspens to brighten your days. I notice there is already a lot of snow on the ground, and roads in Yellowstone were closed last week, but have mostly re-opened, so do take care!

As far as precautions, I think paying attention to weather forecasts is the best thing you could do -- and if things look iffy, alter your plans, and if you absolutely have to brave some bad weather, be prepared for blizzards etc with tire chains, extra blankets, some snacks and especially some bottled water.

Good luck, and Happy Trails,


Jamie

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home