Sunday, August 01, 2010

MD to Maine -- in search of Giant (Chocolate..) Moose, and more




Dear Jamie,

A friend and I are planning a trip from Maryland to Maine (specifically the world's largest chocolate moose, don't judge). I was hoping to include some worthy sites along the way, any suggestions?

We're looking to spend up to a week and not a lot of $$$.

Thanks!

Julie



====>>>>>

Hi Julie --

Thanks for writing in to Road Trip USA -- I'll happily try to suggest some sights for you to see between Maryland and Maine (world's largest chocolate moose "lives" in Portland ME, right? I think I heard about it while visiting Paul Bunyan in Bangor, so I am not one to judge, don't you worry...)

My main suggestion for your pilgrimage would be to get as far off I-95 as you can. I can think of a couple of possible detours for you -- depending on where in Maryland you are starting from, I think you might like the drive along the old Lincoln Highway in Pennsylvania, where you can visit the Hallam Shoe House (they sell ice cream, and the house is shaped like a giant shoe -- remember, don't judge!) , and the many silly wonders of the PA "Dutch Country".

US 7 from western CT up across the Berkshires in western Mass and along the Green Mountains of Vermont is another lovely drive -- take it far north as Ben & Jerry's worldwide HQ, then head east to the Big Moose.

But if you find yourself having to track I-95, between Boston and Portland make sure you stop off in Salem Mass, which has enough oddball Witch Trial-related wax museums and silly souvenir stands to fill a fun afternoon (or spooky Halloween!). Salem also has a great old amusement park, Salem Willows, which has some ancient rides and was the birthplace of the Ice Cream Cone.

Hope these ideas are close to what you were looking for, and that you have a great trip.

Happy Trails,



Jamie Jensen
---
Road Trip USA

===>>>

Wow, thanks so much, Jamie!

This is a great help, I really appreciate it. A house shaped like a giant shoe.....it seems you truly understand the nature of this road trip. Thanks again!

Julie

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I would also suggest that while you're in Maine, stop in Yarmouth to see the world's largest rotating globe inside the HQ of the DeLorme Map Company. Also, just a few miles north is the LLBean flagship store in Freeport, where a 17-foot boot stands in the courtyard.
My family just took a trip there in June because we love quirky roadside attractions like these! We have a blog,“Go BIG or Go Home,” which chronicles what happens when our small-town family visits the “world’s largest”…whatever! http://GoBIGorGoHomeblog.com

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home